Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Grand National

I've spent the last five days telling this story to about 15 different doctors, 20 nurses, a dozen patients and that's just the beginning now I'm home, so you understand I'm somewhat over it.

I was helping run a tour to the Grand National in Liverpool and I got crushed by our tour bus.

What happened is that the bus driver asked me to direct him when he was backing the bus in the parking lot. He must not have had the best vision or stopped watching me but he kept going despite me telling him to stop. He wasn't just backing slowly and carefully either, there were definite bursts of speed.

Anyway it happend so quickly that I didn't have the time (or good sense) to get out of the way. He crushed me between the bus and a parked car. It took a passenger running up the bus yelling at him to before he stopped. So there was a fair bit of continuous crushing.

They called an ambulance and took me to hospital. I got a few shots of morphine and the doctors paniced about whether my spine was damaged (despite being able to wiggle my toes etc). They x-rayed me and eventually moved me to a ward.

In the ward I shared the room with 5 delightful elderly ladies. Them and the nursing staff (and the drugs) made the next 4 days of boredom ok. They kept me there cause they wanted to run a few tests and scans to make sure there was no internal damage (which there isn't yay). I progressed from complete bed rest, to an A frame walker (ironic with the old ladies there), and now I'm on crutches.

But they finally released me yesterday and my boss drove up from London to pick me up.
I'm pretty bruised and sore but that will all heal quickly. I have two broken bones in the right side of my pelvis.

So that's it. It sounds a lot worse than what it is - getting crushed between a bus and a car seems pretty horrific. I'm really lucky I didn't damage my spine and got away with the injuries I do have.

If you're in the neighbourhood I'd love company so pop in for a visit. I'm planning on going back to work after Easter as I can tell I'll be sick of sitting around at home by then. I'm perfectly able to work, walking's the only obstacle. But there are buses I can take, and the crutches get me around so all's well.

p.s. my doctor was INCREDIBLY hot. I just wished I'd shaved my legs when he was checking my reflexes.

No comments:

Post a Comment